Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Diary 5/8


For me, the main point of having astir fry besides making a delicious, nutritious meal, is cleaning out the vegetable crisper in the refrigerator. I was pretty excited to add to those bits and pieces the freshly picked snow peas I had in the other cooler outside. Somewhere between chopping, talking, playing with a grandchild and my last bite of dinner, I declared,"I forgot the peas!" Ah well, it was still tasty. When cooking a stir fry, get your vegetables all chopped(I use just about everything; last night turnips, bolted cabbage tips, and an old half of a pepper went in.) and your meat cooked because after that it goes fairly quickly. The idea is to lightly cook the vegetables until tender and not a bit past that. Start with hot oil and your seasonings: things like garlic, ginger, seeds, etc. that you want the flavor to pervade the dish. Then cook your toughest stuff next and stir constantly to cook all sides. After only a minute or two depending on the size of your chopping, keep adding the next toughest stuff until you are adding greens and mushrooms at the end as they only need another minute and they are still bright green or have texture and yet are fully cooked through. You can add soy sauce, fish sauce, a bit of sweetener or? at the end and heat for only a little longer. Serve immediately as things start to create liquid and get limp as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...