Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Diary 5/7


Getting ready for fire season. Lightning caused wildfires are the main natural disaster we have to worry about here. Historically, wildfires have been involved in fuel reduction in forests, clearing land for new shoots for animals and indigenous peoples and keeping old growth stands healthier. Now that fire suppression has come into the plan, the small vegetation loads up in the forests making the spread of fire faster, wider, and giving fuel to fires getting into the tree tops which causes complete devastation. The other natural disaster of our area is volcanoes. Crater Lake was formed when Mt. Mazama blew its top 8200 years ago. Not that long ago geologically. I guess if that happens, I will not be blogging about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...