Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Diary 5/6/11


After three busy days of trying to catch up, I can say I appreciate the break the rain is going to give for a couple of days.  We did get the soil opened up initially with the disk yesterday. The soil was on the edge of too sticky and was caught in between the disks, a bit, but we had to start somewhere.  I don't think it was too wet.  Too wet makes clods that it take a full season to break up. The driest beds got tilled today, so I have someplace to plant.  Yea!  The top greenhouse is tall enough that the roll bar on the blue tractor just fits under it.  So, the bottom row in that greenhouse got tilled by Mr. Tiller, also. I will have to amend the beds with compost and reshape, but it if fresh soil and that is exciting to a gardener, huh? Planted Medford and SuperTasty tomatoes in the upper greenhouse.  The plants are ready to get out of their 3 5/8 inch planters.  I think we are past the coldest nights.  I started pumpkins, Delicata winter squash, watermelons, and cantaloupes with my friend, Cheryl's, help.  She also helped get 8 bags together, nine total this week.  Alan helped get the strawberries cleaned up with another friend who stopped by.  It is turning into a community garden all by itself!  Time to hit the hay. Zzzzzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...