Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Diary 11/15

Working on Fall Clean-up.  Things sort of pile up around the edges here by the end of the season.  Made some good strides at putting stuff away and getting ready for snow to come off the roof here and there if need be.  Finally made that chow-chow with 10 cups of green tomatoes, a cabbage, a couple green peppers, a red pepper, 5 onions- all chpped to small 1/2 inch to 1 inch bits- mix in 1/2 cup salt until juice forms.  Cover and let set over night.  Then drain and add 10 cups vinegar, 3 1/2 cups sugar, a Tbs. of mixed pickling spices, a little fennel seed, a lot of ground ginger, ground cumin, a few srinklers of mustard seeds, and quite a bit of curry powder.  It came out pretty and I like the flavor of the bit that didn't fit in a jar.  I think it will be good with rice and any meat that is bland by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...