Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Diary 7/6/11


The potatoes are blooming.  Each flower cluster is a potato, each flower is an eye on that potato.  Did we talk about this before.  Michael Poulan has lots to say about potatoes in his book, Botany of Desire.  The Irish famine happened because everyone grew the very same potato that became susceptible to blight.  If they had only grown some red potatoes also, they might have fared better. Anyway, we have quite a few growing this year, lots of varieties, so far so good with them.  I see the garlic is slowly turning yellow.  Maybe you can spot the tinge of yellow to the downhill row in the picture. I will check tomorrow whether it gets another shot of water or if it is done. Half of my garlic patch was eaten by squirrels, so hoping the rest is of a good size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...