Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Diary 10/27

Next to last bag delivery.  Scraped by with a little spinach, a Delicata squash, onions, cilantro, a big bag of carrots, a few last tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes.  Looking at this mum this morning, I couldn't remember the name of the guy who first noticed the pattern.  His name is Fibonaci and he noted it in 1202.  The Fibonaci numbers occur over and over in nature.  1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, and 144 (the sum of the prior two numbers forms the next number) are prevelant in flowers and the pattern Fibonaci wrote about is seen also among other things in pineapples, pine cones, and artichokes.  The idea of a "Golden Mean" and "Golden Angle" came later.  The golden angle is 137.5 degrees, and has been found to be the most efficient layering of seeds on a flower head. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...