Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Diary 3/2/12

Storm broke up and the sun came out.  I turned waters on in all three greenhouses, it was pretty dry in there, actually.  It is a fine balance between watering and temperature at this time of year.  If you get the soil too wet and it is cloudy for a few days in a row, it can rot the bottom stem of baby plants called dampening off. Basically the soil eats your plant because it isn't growing. On the other hand, I am trying to germinate seed, so I have to keep a certain degree of dampness in the soil to do so. Tricky this tenuous time of year.  More bright days, warmer temps, and longer hours of daylight start to change how plants grow as the Equinox passes and Spring begins, only three weeks away.  Before the snow storm, this Red Tailed Hawk ( or maybe two ) was hunting gophers at the bottom of the garden.  I hope he returns with the good weather this weekend.  I am off to a writer's workshop tomorrow, expect great blogging in the future, ha-ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...