Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thinning Strawberry Patch




If you have strawberry plants from last year or years gone by, this is a good time to thin them. Those tight wads of strawberry plants that grew around the mother plant can be carefully coaxed away from the old plant which has the dead matter around it and often the old stems where it sent out shoots. It is good to simply remove this old growth out of the middle altogether. Then if there are several plantlets around it, take them off and plant them with space between of up to a foot or 6 inches apart at least. You can form a border with the new ones, continue your bed out further, or put them in a newly prepared bed for optimal success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...