Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Diary 4/2


More snow! We have had more snow in the last week than we have had all winter, and it is spring. Will turn beds and admire the view, but not much outdoors until it dries out this next week. My chard and Kale are going crazy. This is their time, soon to flower, and be finished for this year until I plant more for fall. So, I have quite a bit of kale and a couple of suggestions of what to do with it. My usual recipe is Portugese sausage soup, which is basically, cooking sausage (we use elk often, but pork, kielbasa, or Italian work), add potatoes and sautee for a few minutes, then add water and after the potatoes have soften some , add as much kale as you are trying to use up! I can stretch this with more potatoes, or make super kaley if I want, but it varies slightly from time to time. If you are vegetarian or vegan, you can use miso, or a vegetable soup base to make this just as tasty. My friend told me another recipe which I tried and liked though I cooked them a little too long. Take kale leaves, remove stems if tough, and place them around on a baking sheet. Drizzle or spray with olive oil or your favorite oil,(I put olive oil in asprayer for this type of thing) and then bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes depending on your oven. They should be crispy. Add sea salt or seasoning as desired. I couldn't believe how they kept together and formed crunchy little chips. Something different for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...