Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Diary 8/24/11

The native Madrone trees have a semi-deciduous culture, losing some of their leaves in summer.  They create piles of dry debris this time of year; somewhat dangerous in a wildfire area. The bark is usually a beautiful brick red and smooth.  It is nicknamed the "spaghetti tree" because its branches twist as they extend upward.  It makes some of the best  firewood available and splits easily when green. After it sheds its leaves, it sheds its bark as if it were a reptile, too big for its skin.  As the old red bark peels away, the new tender green is revealed underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...