Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Diary1/21


I didn't know broccoli could freeze, but evidently 18 might be too cold for even broccoli.  My cauliflowers the size of golf balls melted into brown mush, too.  Just the wrong timing.  I still have some good broccoli, but pinching the middles and adding a new layer of soil as a mulch I can bring them around.  They don't all look frozen.  More greenhouse cleaning today.  I wanted to add to yesterday's benefit of adding water to the beds is that the mass increases-the water fills in the air pockets- and so it all holds temperature better.  Yes I am adding cold water, but each day that it is 60 degrees or warmer in the greenhouses, the warmer the soil can get.  Eventually we will have some full sun days, and it will continue to warm up into the 70's, hold heat, and help heat the air in there for night time radiation.  That's what it is all about. Then with it warm, the microbes can really get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...