Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Diary 1/25

You can't keep a good rhubarb down.  If you wander the old homestead sites in the hills here in spring, you will undoubtedly find some spindly asparagus and some rhubarb somewhere.  These things survive no care and were part of the diet of early 20th century homesteaders in this area.  Rhubarb has a limited use, long on Vitamin C, and needing alot of sweetener, it is still fun to see pop up in spring.  Make a crisp or add to frozen strawberries for pie or make a sauce for ice cream.  The large green leaves at the end of the rose pink stalks are poisonous, or so acidic they will hurt your tummy, so remove them and let them mulch where they lay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...