Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Diary 3/29

Raining hard. Retreat, retreat! Poked the second set of tomatoes that sprouted into trays and started some basil, flowers, and another round of broccoli seeds in a tray also. I will let them germinate in the house and then move them out to the greenhouse. I might work on my seed bin which is in disarray with new seed arrivals and ones I failed to file away. If you have a small enough garden, recipe card holders work nicely for seed packets. I use a large plastic tub with a mouse proof lid. I divided it up using recycled file folders. The first section is root crops I guess because they often are the first seeds planted. Then I have a file called brassicas as I don't need to separate cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. Kale should be in there, but I have it in greens because that is how I think of kale. It is my seed bin, so I get to do it how I want! Then from there it starts to be alphabetical with beans, corn, cucumbers, lettuce, melons, peas, peppers, squash and tomatoes. Anyway, I probably left something out, but you get the gist. I can pull a folder out, look for the seed I want and then stab the folder's back down into its home. I have a big area at the back which is just flowers. Some of them are in envelops together, some with rubber bands and many in odd packages of seed saving size with cryptic descriptions like "bright pink zinnias by greenhouse door". Oh yeah, I remember those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...