Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Diary 3/27


Planted the last of the onions! Hurray! Made some more soil mix for another batch of tomatoes I put in the paper towels yesterday. The variety I grow the most of is Super Tasty. It is available from Burpee Seed Company and I have been growing it for years. It is a determinate type which means it has ends to the vines which form a bush. The good thing is the plant is manageable. not growing over three feet tall usually. The bad thing is that after a large flush of tomatoes it takes a break, blooms again and then forms another round of tomatoes which can take about a month. So, in order to have a continuous batch of tomatoes, I have to plant several successions of this type. I also grow a few heirlooms and Big Beef. These are indeterminate which means there is no end to the vine and it conitinues to form tomaoes until it freezes. Most cherry tomatoes are this type for instance. By growing different varieties I seem to always have some tomatoes ripening and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...