Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Diary 9/12/13

Back from a visit to my daughter. She has been making basil ice cubes for a few years, and got me to do so last year. Harvest the bulk of your basil stems when you know cold weather is coming or arrived, or you are just plain ready to do it! Take the leaves off the stems and puree with a little water to make a paste. Spoon into ice cube trays which you can be emptied within hours into a bag for use all winter. It is a nice amount for flavoring. We were also processing tomatoes and had a start to an Italian paste going. Not enough to can, but when added in a probably 4 parts tomato paste to 1 part basil puree, made another great cube of flavoring, or use several for a pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...