Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Diary 2/28/13

Oregon Coast (Bandon in background, I think)
I am back with more information about Terence.  It turns out that he was a slave.  He was most likely black as he was from Africa, and I don't think there were many white slaves from Africa.  Turns out that he was so clever, his owner freed him at which point he took his master's name, Terence, which was traditional even in the southern U.S.  I do know that the Romans liked to name their children or sons, specifically, "one", "two", three", thus Terence could have been the tertiary son of someone.  Anyway, Terence, the ex-slave, went on to be a playwright, as my sister said, the Noel Coward of Roman times.  The famous sayings are lines from his plays which were in general about common relationships and will just bet that themes and plots of those plays have been rehashed many times.  Learning something everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...