Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Diary 6/14/12

It has been busy as usual.  Took the wwoofers to Crater Lake on Tuesday after a short session of gardening in the morning and the first of many loads of rock arrived for the area where the old cabin went down and the new shop will go up.  Crater Lake was not as impressive as sometimes because there was so much snow you could not walk around very much and it was overcast, so the water surface was steel grey and matte unlike the great blues it usually shows off.  The drive was nice. Lunch at Beckie's had the local feeling for the out-of-towners.  A walk along the river on the Rogue River Trail was too much for me after a mile and a half, so I sat out the the other mile to Takelma Gorge, letting the younger legs go on. I watched a mama woodpecker feeding babies in a cavity of a half dead tree.  Just where I was sitting there was 7 different kinds of trees; Yew, Douglas Fir, Hemlock, Maple, Alder, and Chinquapin. Whoops, that's six, can't think of the seventh! Anyway, I had a nice view while I waited. Yesterday we harvested, packed and delivered 8 bags and had Schnitzel for dinner. Today we cleaned the yard.  Allen also pitched in, whacking away blackberries and unwanted weeds.  I worked on the rim around the pond.  Michael weed eatered and mowed, and the girls sanded and painted the peeling red chairs their new bright yellow. Then we cleaned the raft for a voyage on the Rogue tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to tell you how intrigued I was that you kept your dead trees around. Many people really don't know it but they do serve as homes and spots for woodpeckers to gather and nurture. You should try to get a picture of them one day, would love to see which breed of woodpecker it is. God bless, and happy gardening!!

    -Tony Salmeron

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...