Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Diary 9/8/11


I am thinking of friends and family without power tonight in Orange County, California and south.  Hope they are prepared or have a good humor. Harvesting corn.  Have waited all season for this and now three kinds need picking.  When I am trying to figure out if corn is ready, I look for the more angle the corn is hanging out from the stalk.  It makes sense that the fully finished corn would weigh more and thus hang lower.  I also feel the tip of the corn from the outside.  If it feels more rounded than pointed, that is a good sign.  Sometimes, though corn won't be finished out to the end for one reason or another, cool weather or too crowded.  That can trick you. When in doubt open up and look, but don't do too much of that because it invites pests of all sizes. Will cut some from their ears and vacuum seal and freeze over the weekend.  Have eaten several ears in the last two days,.  Will go slower from here~ so spoiled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...