Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Diary 9/25/14


I am proud of my small crop of tepary beans that I grew this summer. The gophers didn't seem to want to bother them, so I may try more dried beans next summer, something I used to grow quite a few of. Anyway, I learned about these beans when visiting Cheryl in Arizona. The Huhukum tribes of pre-history times grew these as they are super drought resistant. I am sure they planted them along the washes and as the water went down, the bean roots would follow. I have my small crop sitting in the traditional basket of the Huhukum's more recent relatives, the Tohona O'Odham,. We watch a member of this group making baslets at Oracle State Park last March on my serendipitous visit there. We also went to the ruins of a HOhokum village, one of the many vast dwelling of hundreds of thousands of relatives that slowly disappeared as did many of the Southwest residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...