Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Deer and Gopher Wars: Diary 5/28/15

I did build fence the night before last to keep the deer out of the end of the greenhouse, but she slipped under it when I went out this afternoon. So I added another bottom rung. She will not be going in that way, anymore. I also put the black plastic deer fence up along the sides I needed to open to vent. Here's hoping she doesn't force her way through. Just one deer, I think. Very pesky. I am defending against gophers using castor oil and Neem. The castor oil mix is 1 1/2 tsp. and 1 tsp mild dish soap to a gallon of water. Then using that mix adding a TBS. to a watering can and sprinkling it, I have had some success keeping the critters away. Neem may work, too, so I am trying that, also. I have never used it as a mammal deterrent, only for insects.I am hoping to stave the gophers off by adding some compost to the beds as I did last year. Seems they don't like the fresher materials. I will mulch the edges of the tomato beds and see if it makes any difference. Meanwhile I have a crazy snapdragon show going on in the other greenhouse. I think I may have to get some stakes in there to hold things up~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...