Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Diary 4/14/15

Our wild crab apple tree is blooming. It is so beautiful with light pink blossom in profusion. Leaves are present follow, but for now, the pink mixed between the brown twigs and new green leaves catches the eye. Crab apples make the best pollinators for other apple trees. I hope its neighbor, a Honeycrisp, makes use of this service. Crab apples bloom over a long period of time. There are flowers, buds, and the hint of buds all at the same time. This long term of flowering and the number of blooms give it the ability to provide the cross pollination from tree to tree that the bees, wasps, flies, and even wind achieves to set fruit. Hoping for our own Honeycrisp apples this Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...