Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Diary 8/31/14

Chicory is certainly a pretty weed.
You can't pull it; the roots go down and spread out to hold tight to the dirt below and abstract the least bit of moisture they can find to survive on. They don't make a good cut flower, turning from their perky daisies of ice blue to a limp dull grey in hours. I roasted the roots many years ago,. It is a substitute for coffee. To grind the roots would take something of a ball mill, as they are rock hard. So, for now, I will enjoy them poking out here and their around the edges of the greenhouse and garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...