So many mushrooms, so little time. I have spent many an hour trying to identify various fungi only to either not be able to do so conclusively, or finding out they are either inedible or even toxic. It is a fun science, but tiring! I don't touch them anymore as I have heard there are some small brown ones that can put neurotoxins through your skin just by touching them. I know the friendlier families such as the boletes, and those I will examine closer. The ones I don't know, I nudge with my foot to see their gills which will help with identification. Photos help also. I really should start a diary of my hunts to help as far as where each mushroom was found and what time of year. Meanwhile, I will be happy to search for the few I do know to be edible even if I have little success.