Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Puffball mushrooms: Diary 11/16/15

Usually there are some edible puffballs that emerge this time of year. They are easy to identify, and don't seem to be as prone to freeze damage as some mushrooms. I like the smaller ones. They smell like Parmesan cheese. An edible puffball can be identified by cutting it in half. If it is white inside it is purported to be edible. If it is gray or brown, not so much. I did not pick this one, so I don't know.
I think it maybe a larger puffball called "poisonous pigskin" which does not sound good for those of us looking for a gourmet mushroom to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...