Evening glow in the greenhouse

Evening glow in the greenhouse
WELCOME TO MY BLOG! I am glad you found me because I hope I can be helpful or at least interesting for you to follow, be you a gardener yourself or just watching vicariously.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Diary 7/21/14

The Madrone trees are doing their leaf exchange and bark shedding. Unlike other trees that lose their leaves in fall for the entire winter, the Madrones lose their leaves now and gain new ones through the end of summer. They also shed a layer of their bark. Then they will be green all winter with beautiful red berries from fall through winter. They are especially lovely when the snow adds a layer to the green and red. They are relatives of the Manzanita which evolved into a low bush where these are large trees.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the quick nature lessons I get reading your blog, Sara. Thank you for teaching me about this tree today! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, especially if I can help with your efforts...